Looking for a sweet, hearty something for the chilly winter weather? This classic butternut squash soup recipe is guaranteed to satisfy your taste buds.
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp chopped fresh sage
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 carrots, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 apple, peel cored and chopped
- 6 cups chopped butternut squash, fresh or frozen
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup 100% apple juice
- In a large saucepan, over medium-heat, heat the olive oil.
- Add carrots, onion, celery, garlic, apple and butternut squash to pan, cook for 5-7 minutes or until it begins to cook through, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth and juice; bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Add salt, thyme, sage, pepper and ginger. Simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Use an immersion blender (or transfer contents to a blender container) and blend until smooth. Stir in lemon juice. You may stir a spoonful of Cranberry Compote into center of each bowl of soup. Swirl, if desired. This adds a fun, tangy flavor to your soup.