If your eyes run very badly when peeling onions, then hold the onions under a slow running cold tap.
- 4 boneless breasts of chicken, cut into 1 cm/ 1/2 inch wide strips
- 25 g plain flour
- 50 g butter or margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 100 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 150 ml dry white wine (non alcoholic ,optional)
- 150 ml soured cream
- zested lemon rind to garnish
1. Toss the chicken strips in the flour.
2. Heat the butter or margarine in a frying pan and cook the chopped onion until soft.
3. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the chicken strips and cook until they are golden all over .
4. Sprinkle over the thyme , and season to taste.
5. Mix in the stock and wine and bring to the boil , then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
6. Reduce the heat further , stir in the soured cream and cook until the sauce is warmed through , but do not allow the sauce to boil.
7. Garnish with lemon rind and serve the chicken with parslied boiled rice and buttered carrots.