Shawarma is a Middle Eastern dish of garlicky meat or poultry served on pitas. This chicken version is flavored with a savory yogurt sauce. This quick and easy chicken recipe is one the whole family will love. It adds some flair to the usual, plain grilled chicken. This chicken will also make the perfect next-day lunch.
- 2 lb / 1 kg chicken thigh fillets, skinless and boneless
- 1 large garlic clove, minced (or 2 small cloves)
- 1 tbsp coriander, cumin, cardamom
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika, salt
- Black pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice + 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt, 1 clove garlic, crushed, 1 tsp cumin, Squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 6 flatbreads
- Sliced lettuce (cos or iceberg)
- Tomato slices
- Mix together marinade in zip lock bag. Add chicken, massage to coat, marinate overnight or up to 24 hours.
2. Heat a bit of oil in a skillet or rub on BBQ if required – medium high heat. Cook chicken for 3 minutes each side until cooked through. Remove onto plate and rest for 5 minutes, loosely covered with foil.
3. Yogurt Sauce: Mix together, set aside for 30 minutes +.
4. Wraps: Smear bread with yogurt sauce. Top with chicken, tomato and lettuce, roll up.
5. Other ways to serve: See this recipe on my site for recipes for other sides, including pilaf, salads, homemade flatbread, and hummus.