- 8-10 large slices Texas toast or French toast day old/stale is best
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup Whole Milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- generous pinch of salt
- 2 cups crunchy cinnamon cereal (measured when dry)
- 4 tablespoons lactose-free butter
Serve with: fresh berries and pure maple syrup
Optional: dust of powdered sugar
- If using French toast, slice into 3/4th inch thick pieces. Slice each piece into 2-3 thick «sticks.» If using Texas toast, cut each piece into 3-4 «sticks.»
- In a large bowl, briskly whisk the 4 eggs. Pour in the milk, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and pinch of salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a blender or food processor, add the cereal and pulse until it forms crumbs.
- Dredge each French toast stick in the egg + milk mixture and then generously coat with cereal crumbs. Repeat until all of the bread is coated.
- Depending on how generously you dredge the sticks into the cereal crumbs, you may need to pulse another 1/2 to full 1 cup.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat and add a pat of butter. Once the butter has melted, add in 5 french toast sticks into a single layer in the pan. (Don’t over-crowd.)
- Cook the sticks until they are crispy and golden brown and then flip to the other side. Once that side is crispy, get the sides and then transfer to a plate.
- Cook the rest using the same method (adding a pat of butter, putting down 5 sticks, cook and flip) and then serve immediately with a dust of powdered sugar, fresh berries, and maple syrup as desired.