- 225 g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 25 g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 300 ml milk
- Sift together the flour, salt , bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar.
- Stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre.
- Gradually beat in the egg and milk to make a smooth thick batter.
- Lightly grease a hot griddle or heavy based frying pan and drop large spoonfuls of the mixture on, allowing plenty of room for spreading.
- When the surface bubbles and the drop scones are set, turn quickly and cook the other side.
- Serve wrapped in a clean cloth to keep scones warm and soft.