To clean leeks thoroughly, trim roots and tough green leaves off leaks. Stir leaks lengthwise to centre, then hold root and uppermost under cold running water to wash out dirt.
- 2 large leeks
- 1 onion
- 1 large potato
- 50 g butter or margarine
- 600 ml hot vegetable stock
- 300 ml milk
- 150 ml double or whipping cream
- 150 ml natural yoghurt
- Salt and pepper
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
1. Wash and trim the leeks, then cut into thin rings. Finely chop the onion. Peel and dice the potato.
2. In a saucepan cook the onion and leeks in the butter or margarine until softened.
3. Add the potato and stock.
4. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
5. Add the milk. Blend the soup in a liquidizer until smooth . Transfer to a bowl and whisk in the cream, yoghurt, salt and pepper and Tabasco.
6. Leave the vichysoisse to cool. When cold, chill for at least 1 hour.
7. Serve the soup in individual bowls and garnish each serving with freshly chopped chives.