- 675-1 kg middle or best end neck of lamb
- 4 lambs’ kidneys , skinned and cored
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 small turnip, diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 450 g potatoes, sliced
- 300 ml lamb or beef stock
- 25 g butter or margarine
- 1 tsp chopped parsley to garnish
- Cut the lamb and the kidneys into neat pieces and place in alternate layer with the carrot , turnip and onion in a casserole .
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Finish the hot pot with layers of sliced potatoes.
- Pour over the stock and dot the top with small pieces of butter or margarine.
- Cover the casserole with a lid and place in a moderate oven for about 2 hours until the meat is cooked.
- uncover the casserole for the last half an hour and increase the oven temperature to moderately hot to brown the top layer of potatoes.
- Serve immediately garnished with chopped parsley.