We have used to buy pâtés in jars in the shops. Of course, it is rather convenient to open a jar and to put this product on toast or bread. As a result you will have a proper meat or fish snack. But our ancestors used to have no opportunity to buy canned food. They had to cook everything themselves. But how much it was more delicious! And there were no any additives in this dish.
Let’s prepare the pate from the fish according to the old Russian recipe today. It is very tasty and useful. In previous times such pate was mainly cooked from pike or eel, but you can use any other fish you like.
What products to take
- 1 kg — fish;
- ½ — a loaf;
- 150 g butter;
- 2/3 cup — fatty cream;
- 1 leek;
- 2 onions;
- 5 cup milk;
- 1 lemon;
- 1/3 cup dry wine;
- to taste — nutmeg;
- grains of English pepper.
Begin to cook
- Melt butter in a deep saucepan or pan.
- We cut finely onions and leeks, put them to oil.
- Also add the pieces of fish, after cleaning it and removing large bones.
- Stew the fish almost to readiness.
- Then pour inside the wine, juice from the lemon, cover with a lid and boil over high heat for 5 minutes.
- We soak a loaf in milk, squeeze and add to the fish.
- We put it all through a meat grinder.
- Season to taste with salt, nutmeg and pepper.
- We put cream on the fire, warm it up a bit, pour it into a mass, mix it thoroughly.
- Put the pate into a mold and press it well.
- We put it into the cold for 3-4 hours.
Such fish pâté can be cut into pieces or cover the bread with it. A delicious dish of Old Russian cuisine is worthy of admiration!