A good lemon squeezer is a useful kitchen utensil. Decide which type you prefer and invest in a sturdy one.This is a great alternative to Trout with Almonds.
- 4 mackerel, halved and filtered
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt and pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- 25 g butter or margarine
- 25 g plain flour
- 300 ml milk
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- sprigs of flat-leaved parsley
- lemon slices
- lime slices
- Place the mackerel fillets on a sheet of greased foil and brush with the oil.
- Season generously with salt and pepper , sprinkle over the lemon juice.
- Fold the fillets into little parcels, wrap them securely in the foil.
- Cook in a steamer for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile , melt the butter or margarine over a gentle heat, add the flour then gradually add the milk, stirring continuously.
- Bring the sauce to the boil, reduce the heat, add the remaining ingredients, season to taste and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Unwrap the fish and transfer to a serving dish, reserving the cooking liquor. Keep the fish warm.
- Add the cooking liquor to the sauce and simmer for a further few minutes, then pour over the mackerel.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs and halved slices of lemon and lime.