To level the surface of a fruit cake mixture , dampen a large metal spoon in hot water, shake off the water and use that rounded side to level the mixture. Dampen the spoon again if the mixture begins to stick.
- 100 g butter or margarine
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 225 g self raising flour, sifted
- 100 g mixed dried fruit
- 50 g glacé cherries, washed and sliced
1. Line and grease a deep 18 cm/7 inch round cake tin.
2. Cream the butter or margarine with the sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Gradually beat in the eggs, adding a little of the flour to prevent curdling.
4. Mix the dried fruit and cherries with a spoonful of the flour.
5. Fold the remaining flour into the creamed mixture, then fold in the fruit. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin.
6. Level the top of the cake and bake in a moderate oven for 1-1 ¼ hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean .
7. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out and cool completely on a wirerack.