To make a fresh bouquet garni, tie a sprig each of parsley and thyme and a bay leaf together with thin string. Tie to a saucepan handle so that the bouquet garni can be removed easily before serving.
- 50 g pearl barley
- 225 g neck of mutton or lamb, or stewing beef
- 2 leeks
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 small turnip
- 1.15 liters water
- bouquet garni
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley to garnish
- Blanch the pearl barley in boiling water for 3 minutes, then strain.
- Cut the meat into small cubes. Slice the leeks, carrots , onion and celery. Dice the turnip.
- Bring the water , pearl barley, meat, bouquet garni and seasoning to taste slowly to the boil in a saucepan. Skim.
- Reduce the heat, add the vegetables and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours , skimming off any foam that may appear on the surface of the broth. Remove the bouquet garni.
- Pour the broth into individual soup bowls and garnish each serving with chopped parsley.