To make lemon twists, thinly slice a lemon and cut a slit in the centre of each slice. Twist the slices from the cuts.
- 8 small plaice fillets, skinned
- 100 g white breadcrumbs
- grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 50 g cream cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 25 g butter or margarine
- 25 g plain flour
- 300 ml milk
- 150 ml dry white wine ( non alcoholic, optional)
- dill sprigs
- lemon twists
- Put the fillets on a board, skinned side uppermost.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs , lemon rind and juice , dill, cream cheese, salt and pepper.
- Mix in enough egg to make a soft consistency.
- Place a spoonful of the stuffing on to each fillet and roll up.
- Place in an ovenproof dish and cover with greased foil . Bake in a moderate oven for 20-25 minutes.
- To make the sauce , melt the butter or margarine over a gentle heat, add the flour, then gradually add the milk and wine and bring the sauce to the boil , stirring continuously.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 2 minutes.
- Season to taste and pour over the stuffed plaice fillets.
- Garnish with fresh dill and lemon twists and serve immediately.