- 300 g (10 1/2 fl oz) kumara (sweet potatoes)
- 1 egg
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oreganum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp flour
[ads — pc — 1]
[ads — mob — 1]
- Scrub, trim off thin ends, then lightly oil sweet potatoes.
- Bake at 200 degrees Celsius (400F) until the flesh gives when pressed, as a baked potato does when cooked.
- Chop into fairly small pieces.
- The quantity given should fill a 2 cup measure when tightly packed.
- In a medium-sized bowl beat together with a fork the egg, spring onions, ground cumin, dried oreganum and salt.
- Add the cooked sweet potato, and mash it into the egg mixture with the fork, then beat in flour.
- Form mixture into eight flat cakes or patties, heat a little oil in a non-stick pan, and cook the patties over a moderate heat, until golden brown on both sides, and heated through to the middle.
- Serve with coleslaw or a lettuce- based salad, as a complete meal for two, or serve with pork, for four.