- 2 (400 g/14 oz) cans plum tomatoes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp dried or 2 tsp chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- 225 g long grain white rice
- 450 ml water
- 50 g Parmesan cheese, grated
- watercress sprigs to garnish
- Grease a 1.15 litre/2 pint ring mould with oil.
- For the tomato sauce, blend the tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil and seasoning in a liquidiser until smooth.
- Cook the rice in the tomato sauce and water for 15-20 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Press the rice into the mould and leave for 5 minutes.
- Turn out the rice, and serve with a salad or with grilled meat.