- 175 g butter or margarine
- 175 g castor sugar
- 3 tbsp black treacle
- 3 eggs
- 350 g self-burning flour
- 2 tbsp milk
- 50 g butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp black treacle
- 1 tbsp milk
- 225 g icing sugar, sifted
1. Line and grease a deep 20 cm / 8 inches square cake tin.
2. Cream the butter or margarine, sugar and treacle together until light and fluffy.
3. Gradually beat in the eggs, adding a tablespoon of flour if necessary to prevent the mixture from curdling.
4. Carefully fold in the flour and milk.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in a moderate oven for 1 hour or until a metal skewer is injected into the cake.
6. Cool on a wire rack.
7. Beat all icing ingredients together until smooth.
8. Swirl on cake and serve.