To line a cake tin. Cut circles of greaseproof paper the size of base of tin. Cut a double thickness strip of paper 5 cm/2 inches wider than height of tin and the length of circumference . Fold up 1 cm/ ½ inch along length. Snip at 1cm / ½ inch intervals.
- 175 g butter or margarine
- 175 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 50 g ground almonds
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 150 ml milk
- Grated chocolate to decorate
- 1 egg white
- 75 g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 3 tbsp water
1. Line and grease a deep 20 cm/8 inch round cake tin.
2. Cream the butter or margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Gradually beat in the eggs, then thoroughly stir in the flour and add enough milk to make a mixture with a dropping consistency.
4. Spoon into the tin, smooth the top and bake in a cool oven for about 2 hours. Turn out on to a wire rack to cool.
5. Make the frosting : place all the ingredients in a basin over boiling water and whisk until the icing stands in soft peaks.
6. Remove from the heat and continue whisking until cool, then quickly spread it over the cake.
7. Decorate with grated chocolate.