A quiche like this makes a good. Serve with a mushroom salad, a leafy tossed salad and bread rolls. The quiche takes some time to prepare, but it can be made ahead and reheated.
Ingredients (about 6 servings)
- 1 cup (125 g / 4 1/2 oz) flour
- 50-75 g (2-2 1/2 oz) cold butter
- About 1/4 cup (60 ml / 2 fl oz) cold water
- 100 g (3.5 oz) ham pieces
- 4 spring onions
- 1 (340g / 13oz) can asparagus spears
- 1/2 cup (50 g / 2 oz) grated tasty cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml / 8 fl oz) cream or evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml / 4 fl oz) drained asparagus liquid
- Fleshy ground black pepper
- To make the pastry put the flour and cubed butter into a food processor and while the machine runs add the water to the trickle. Take care not to over-process.
- Stop processing as soon as you can press the dough balloons together to form a ball.
- Refrigerate for at least 5 minutes.
- Roll out thinly. Press into a 23cm (9inch) flan or quiche pan.
- Cut the ham into 5mm (1/4 inch) cubes and chop the spring onions, and sprinkle over the pastry.
- Arrange the well-drained asparagus on the chinks of a more casual appearance.
- Cover with the grated cheese.
- Lightly beat the eggs, cream and asparagus, liquid with the peppers and carefully pour over the filling.
- Cook at 220degrees Celsius (425F) for 30 minutes, or until the center is set and the quiche has browned.
Replace asparagus with cooked spinach (and its cooking liquid) if preferred.
Enjoy your meal!