- 175 g butter
- 175 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 225 g self raising flour , sifted
- about 3 tbsp milk
- pieces of candied peel
- Line and grease a deep 15 cm/6 inch round cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs , adding a little of the flour to prevent curdling.
- Carefully fold in the remaining flour and add enough milk to make a soft dropping consistency .
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and lay the candied peel on top.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 1 1/4 — 1 1/2 hours or until the cake is firm to touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.