- 175 g butter or margarine
- 175 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175 g self raising flour
- Green food colouring
- Pink food colouring
Filling and icing:
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp boiling water
- 275 g icing sugar
- 75 g butter
- Chopped pistachio nuts to decorate
1. Line and grease a deep 18 cm/7 inch round cake tin.
2. Cream the butter or margarine and sugar until pale and fluffy.
3. Gradually beat in the eggs , then fold in the flour. Divide the mixture into 3 equal portions.
4. Leave one portion plain, colour one green and the other pink.
5. Drop spoonsful of the mixture in the tin, and carefully smooth the top without mixing the colours.
6. Bake in a moderate oven for about 1 hour or until a metal skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean . Cool on a wire rack . Dissolve the cocoa in the water; cool.
7. Beat all the icing ingredients together and smooth half over the top and sides of the cake.
8. Pipe a border with the remainder.
9. Decorate with pistachio nuts.