- 225 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 150 g margarine
- 75 g demerera sugar
- 150 g mixed dried fruit
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp milk
- Grease 2 baking trays.
- Sift the flour and spices into a bowl.
- Rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and fruit, then mix in the egg and milk to make a fairly stiff mixture.
- Place eight spoonfuls of the mixture well apart on the baking tray and bake in a moderately hot oven for 20 minute.
- Cool on a wire rack .
- These cakes are best eaten on the same day as baking .