To melt chocolate in the microwave, break into squares and place in a bowl. Microwave for 4-6 minutes until soft.
- 100 g plain chocolate
- 100 g butter
- 4 eggs
- 100 g icing sugar, sifted
- 50 g self-wet flour
- 50 g ground almonds
- 225 g plain chocolate
1. Line and grease a deep 23 cm / 9 inch round cake tin.
2. Heat the chocolate and butter together in a bowl above a saucepan of hot, not boiling, water until melted. Cool slightly. Stir well and remove from the heat.
3. Whisk together the eggs and icing sugar until pale and very thick.
4. Fold in the chocolate and butter mixture, then fold in the flour and almonds.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in a moderate oven for about 1 hour, or until a metal skewer is injected into the center of the cake comes out clean.
6. Turn on the rack to cool.
7. For the topping, melt the chocolate, and quickly smooth over the cake with a palette knife.
8. Leave to cool. Decorate as shown.