Peel, core and slice cooking apples to layer in the sausage meat pie.
- 1 quantity shortcrust pastry
- beaten egg to glaze
- 350 g sausage meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 100 g fresh breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- 75 g stuffed green olives
- 3 peperoni sausages
- Make the shortcrust pastry. Roll out 2/3 of the pastry to line a 450 g /1 lb loaf tin.
- Combine the sausage meat , onion, garlic, breadcrumbs and seasoning.
- Spoon a little into the base of the tin, smooth over and top with a layer of olives and peperoni sausage.
- Repeat all the layers until the ingredients are used up, finishing with the sausage meat mixture.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to form a lid . Dampen the edge of the pastry with water and cover the pie with the pastry lid.
- Trim and seal the edges and make a small hole in the centre to allow any steam to escape.
- Use any pastry trimmings to make leaves to decorate the top of the pie .
- Glaze with beaten egg and cook in a moderately hot oven for about 1 hour .
- Serve hot or cold with a salad.