- 175 g plain flour, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 100 g butter
- 50 g caster sugar
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- icing sugar to dust
- Grease and flour a baking tray . Put the flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Rub in the butter , then stir in the sugar and lemon rind.
- Lightly work the mixture together until it forms a smooth stiff ball of dough.
- Roll into a 20 cm/ 8 inch circle and place on a baking tray.
- Pinch the edges, prick the middle all over with a fork and cut the shortbread into eight wedges. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 40 minutes or until pale golden.
- Leave on the baking tray for a few minutes , then cool completely on a wire rack.