For a change, divide the dough into 8 pieces and make round rolls, cutting a cross in each. Bake at the same temperature as the loaf for about 15 minutes. Serve warm.
- 450 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 350 ml milk
- flour to sprinkle
- Grease a baking tray. Sift the flour , cream of tartar, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl.
- Add the milk and mix to a smooth soft dough .
- Knead gently on a lightly floured surface, then shape into a round . Place on the baking tray and mark the top quite deeply into four sections with a sharp knife.
- Sprinkle with flour and bake in a hot oven for 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack . Break into quarters and sere sliced, with butter if liked.