Make an interesting apple and raisin parkin by mixing 50 g raisins and 50 g dried apple flakes into the dry ingredients. Combine as below.
- 175 g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 275 g medium oatmeal
- 175 g black treacle
- 100 g butter
- 100 g soft brown sugar
- 150 ml milk
- 1 egg
- Line and grease a 23 cm/ 9 inch square cake tin.
- Sift together the flour, salt , spices and soda.
- Add and toss lightly to mix .
- Warm together the treacle, butter, sugar and milk until the butter has melted.
- Cool slightly, add the egg and beat well.
- Pour into the centre of the dry ingredients and stir rapidly until smooth.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake in a moderate oven for 1- 1 1/2 hours, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean .
- Cool on a wire rack.