To flour cake tins, put a spoonful of flour in the greased tin. Tilt from side to side, tapping the edge to coat the base and sides evenly in flour. Turn any excess flour into the second tin.
- 100 g butter or margarine
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 100 g self raising flour, sifted
- 4 tbsp strawberry jam
- Sifted icing sugar , for dusting
1. Grease and flour two 18 cm/7 inch sandwich tins.
2. Cream the butter or margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Gradually beat in the eggs, adding a little of the flour to prevent curdling.
4. Carefully fold in the remaining flour using a metal spoon.
5. Divide the mixture between the two tins and level the tops.
6. Bake in a moderate oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cakes are risen , springy, firm to the touch and golden . Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
7. When cold , sandwich the two cakes together with the jam and dust with icing sugar.