- 225 g Cheddar cheese
- 25 g butter
- 25 g plain flour
- salt and pepper
- pinch of cayenne
- pinch of mustard powder
- 150 ml milk
- few drops of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices bread
- butter for spreading
- Grate the cheese. Melt the butter in a saucepan, reduce the heat , add the cheese, flour , seasonings, milk and Worcestershire sauce.
- Heat the mixture gently, stirring occasionally , until a smooth , thick sauce is formed.
- Toast and butter the bread. Top with the cheese mixture and brown under the grill for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately with grilled tomatoes or garnished with tomato wedges and a coriander sprig.