For an excellent flavor, marinate the chicken joints in the wine overnight. Drain, reserving the wine and cook as above.
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 chicken joints
- 25 g butter or margarine
- 2 tbsp oil
- 12 button onions
- 100 g button mushrooms
- 25 g plain flour
- 300 ml dry red wine ( non alcoholic/optional)
- 150 ml chicken stock
- bouquet garni
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- chopped parsley to garnish
- Rub the crushed garlic and salt into each chicken joint.
- Heat the butter or margarine and oil in a frying pan and cook the chicken joints until golden on all sides. Transfer the joints to a casserole.
- Fry the onions and mushrooms in the remaining fat until golden and add to the casserole.
- Stir the flour into the pan , add the wine and bring to the boil.
- Pour over the chicken joints . Add the stock , bouquet garni and sugar to the casserole, then season well.
- Cover the casserole with a lid or foil and cook in a moderate oven for about 1 hour. Remove the bouquet garni.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley.