For an authentic strudel, use phyllo instead of puff pastry . Brush each sheet with melted butter and use two or three sheets thickness.
- 1 (212 g/7 oz) packet frozen puff pastry , defrosted
- Icing sugar to sprinkle
- 50 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 50 g chopped walnuts
- 100 g mixed dried fruit
- 50 g caster sugar
- 450 g cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 50 g butter, melted
- Roll out the pastry very thinly on a lightly floured board to make an oblong shape.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, walnuts, dried fruit, sugar , over one end of the pastry to within 1 cm/ 1/2 inch of the edges.
- Brush the edges with the melted butter and roll up like a swiss roll.
- Place on a baking tray and brush with the remainder of the butter.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Dust with icing sugar, slice and serve hot with custard.