To pipe meringue, use a large piping bag fitted with a large plain nozzle.
- 3 egg whites
- 175 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 300 ml double cream
- 2 bananas, sliced and brushed with lemon juice
- 2 kiwi fruits , peeled and sliced
- 100 g green grapes, halved and deseeded
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented
- Mark a 20 cm/8 inch circle on a piece of non stick baking parchment and place on a baking tray.
- Whisk the egg whites until they stand in stiff peaks.
- Gradually whisk in half the sugar.
- Fold in the remaining sugar with the cornflour, vinegar and vanilla.
- Spoon or pipe the meringue on to the marked circle and bake in the centre of a cool oven for 1 hour.
- Leave to cool in oven.
- Remove paper and place on a plate.
- Whip the cream until stiff.
- Spoon over the pavlova base , arrange the prepared fruit on top and chill before serving.