Use peeled bananas , cut in half, instead of the canned fruit . Serve with a little warmed golden syrup poured over .
- 1 (425 g/15 oz) can pineapple rings
- 1 (410 g/14 oz) can apricot halves
- flour for dusting
- oil for deep frying
- 100 g plain flour
- pinch of mixed spice
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg, separated
- 150 ml water
- 1 tbsp oil
- caster sugar to sprinkle
- Drain the pineapple rings and apricot halves, pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper and dust with flour.
- Sift the flour, mixed spice and salt into a bowl.
- Gradually beat in the egg yolk, water and oil to form a smooth batter.
- Whisk the egg white until still and fold in.
- Heat the oil for deep frying to 180 C/350 F , or until a cube of bread dropped in becomes golden in 30 seconds .
- Dip the pieces of fruit into the batter to coat well and fry the fritters for 4-5 minutes or until golden.
- Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Sprinkle with sugar and serve immediately with cream.