Steamed puddings microwave well. Cover with cling film instead of foil . Microwave on full power for 5 minutes.
- 100 g soft margarine
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 100 g self raising flour
- 50 g plain chocolate, grated
- 25 g butter
- 25 g plain flour
- 600 ml milk
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- Grease a 1 litre /2 pint pudding basin.
- Beat the margarine and sugar until soft and creamy, then gradually beat in the eggs.
- Fold in the sifted cocoa, flour and chocolate.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared basin and cover with greased grease proof paper and a piece of greased cooking foil, pleated to allow for rising.
- Secure with string. Steam on a trivet or upturned saucer in a saucepan half-full of water for 1 1/2 hours.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter over a low heat, add the flour and , stirring continuously , cook for 2 minutes , then gradually add the milk and bring to the boil .
- Reduce the heat to simmer gently, add the sugar , cocoa and coffee , and cook until dissolved.
- Turn out the pudding and pour over the hot sauce to serve.