Today we will prepare a famous dish of the Germans, who are traditionally living in the Volga regions.
Delicious strudels with meat and cabbage are very hearty and will not leave anyone indifferent. Serve the dish with a tender and soft steam bun. It’s so appetizing that it’s just impossible to tear yourself away.
List of required products:
- 800 grams of beef;
- one teaspoon of mustard;
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil;
- black ground pepper and coriander — to taste;
- one kilogram of cabbage;
- one kilogram of onions;
- 4 ripe tomatoes, which can be replaced with 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, diluted in one glass of water.
For the dough:
- 150 grams of warm milk;
- 5 grams of dry yeast;
- one tablespoon of sugar;
- half a teaspoon of salt;
- one fresh chicken egg;
- 250-300 grams of flour;
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil to cover the dough.
Begin to cook
- First of all, we knead the dough: you can use the dough kneader, or it is possible to do it with your hands, of course. Warm milk is poured into a relatively deep dish. After that add one fresh chicken egg, yeast, salt and granulated sugar. Pour the sifted wheat flour, knead the dough.
- The dough is rounded, put into a bowl, greased with vegetable oil, covered and left for proofing.
- Initially cut the meat (we have taken beef) into to large enough pieces, beat them off a bit, then cut them into thin pieces (like for beef stroganoffs).
- We put the meat pieces into a bowl, add ground coriander, black ground pepper and vegetable oil without a smell (1-2 tablespoons). For taste, if desired, you can add one teaspoon of the prepared mustard.
- Cover the bowl with meat food film or lid, leave to marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Peeled onions are cut into thin half-rings, and carrots are rubbed on a large grater.
- A deep stewing pan or an ordinary frying pan with a thick bottom is put on the fire, heated and poured with vegetable oil.
- We send the meat to the deep stewing pan, cover it with a lid and stew the beef on medium heat until it is half cooked.
- While the meat is being cooked, we’ll chop the cabbage. It must be cut into large strips.
- After the beef comes to half cooked condition, reduce the fire to a minimum and put onions onto meat. Onions — onto carrots, and cabbage should be the last layer.
- Sprinkle with coriander on the top, salt and pepper to taste. Mind that nothing else is mixed.
- Cover the deep stewing pan with a lid and continue to stew for 10 minutes.
- After this time the cabbage will settle a little, lay out on it finely chopped fresh or canned in its own juice tomatoes, which can be replaced with tomato paste diluted in water.
- Again, cover the deep stewing pan with a lid and continue to stew until the half-prepared condition of the cabbage.
- At this time we start to form strudels. Dough is laid on the table, sprinkled with flour, rolled it into a thin layer.
- The flat cake is covered with vegetable oil and rolled.
- Roll is cut into pieces in length of about 3-4 centimeters, press them on the center with a spoon. Put on the board and leave for 20 minutes for proofing.
- When the cabbage comes to the half-ready condition, the fire is turned off and we wait until the contents will cool to a warm state.
- Then put strudels on the cabbage. Don’t forget about the distance between the items. Check for liquid: it should not reach the top of the cabbage. But if it is not enough, pour some water additionally.
- Cover the deep stewing pan with a hermetic lid (steam should not go out anywhere) and put on a slow fire. We stew for 40 minutes, then turn off the fire and leave everything for another 5 minutes. Check the readiness of the dough by examining one strudel layers.
- We serve them as an independent dish, or with a wonderful tasty salad from baked vegetables.