The mixture of «Five Spices» is not very well known in Europe and the USA, as, for example, curry powder. Meanwhile in Asia this mixture is used very actively. It is taken for meat, fish and vegetables, when all these products are baked or steamed. In any case, the result will be a bit similar. — You will get flavored and a bit spicy dish, which tastes perfectly well.
List of required products
Mind that it is recommended to start cooking 3-4 hours before serving
- 600-700 g salmon fillets without skin;
- 1 tbsp. honey;
- juice of half an orange;
- 2 tbsp. of rice wine or dry sherry;
- 3 tbsp. of dark soy sauce;
- 2 tbsp. of dark sesame oil;
- 1/4 tsp. chili flakes;
- 1 tsp. mixture of spices «Five spices»;
- sea salt;
- leaves of Chinese cabbage.
Begin to cook
- For marinade mix slightly warmed honey with orange juice.Add soy sauce, rice wine, chili flakes and a mixture of «Five spices». At the very end add sesame oil.
- With a very sharp knife, carefully cut the fillet of salmon with slices of 2-3 cm thick across the fibers.
- Put pieces of fillet in a sealed plastic bag and pour in the same marinade.Tie the packet and gently shake it so that all the pieces are covered with marinade.
- Put the package into the fridge for 2 hours.From time to time, turn it over so that the pieces of fish marinate evenly.
- Put the pieces of the marinated fish into a steamer, which has been already lined with Chinese cabbage leaves.If desired, salt and cover with marinade on the top. Cook until the fish starts to separate into flakes. As a rule it takes about 10 minutes.
- Serve the dish when it is very hot.
For a mixture of «Five spices» break 3 sticks of cinnamon or cassia into small pieces. Put in a coffee grinder, add 1 tbsp. cloves, 1 tbsp. Szechuan peppercorns, 6 stars of anise tree and 1 tbsp. fennel seeds. Powder all ingredients, store them in a tightly closed container in a dry dark place.