During the period of the religious fast, numerous monks always ate exclusively lenten dishes. It happened all around the planet. As these people were preparing mainly from fruits and vegetables, in monasteries they tried to invent not only recipes of original dishes, but also funny names for them. So there was a recipe for «Monastic chicken». It sounds really terrific, doesn’t it? Although in fact it is represented by cabbage stewed in milk.
This cabbage was always served in hot and cold dishes. To taste it is different from the product, you prepare in a traditional way. And as for us, it turns out to be much tastier. Today we are going to prepare a wonderful old dish, invented by ancient Russian monks.
What products to take
Begin to cook
- We cut cabbage with straws. It doesn’t have to be very small. The straw should be of medium thickness.
- We put everything into deep stewing pan.
- Whisk eggs together with milk into a homogeneous mass and add to the cabbage.
- Season to taste with pepper and salt. You can add scented herbs or other spices, if you like.
- Thoroughly mix everything and cover with a lid.
- We put the future dish into the oven, heated up to 170 degrees.
- Stew until the cabbage is completely ready and becomes of a beige color.
This is a simplified version, because such cabbage can be cooked with tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, carrots and even apples. In the course of time you can try all the variants possible. Cook delicious with us even if you are on a diet or keep the fast! Enjoy your meal!