If you intend freezing the cooked cobbler, then first line the casserole dish with double-thick cooking foil, making sure there are no cracks or gaps and allowing plenty of overlap round the rim.
- 575 g stewing or braising steak ,cut into cubes
- 25 g plain flour
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp oil
- 100 g baby carrots
- 2 parsnips, quartered and sliced
- 600 ml beef stock
- 100 g frozen peas
- 225 g self raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 50 g butter or margarine
- 1 egg, beaten plus extra to glaze
- 3 tbsp milk
1. Toss the meat in a mixture of the flour , herbs and seasoning.
2. Cook in the oil until browned .
3. Transfer to a casserole. Cook the onion in the oil until soft and add to the casserole with the carrots, parsnips and beef stock.
4. Season to taste. Cover and cook in a moderate oven for 2 hours until the meat is cooked . Stir in the peas.
5. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl , rub in the fat until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
6. Stir in the beaten egg and enough milk to make a soft dough.
7. Roll out on a lightly floured work surface to about 2.5 cm/1 inch thick.
8. Cut into rounds using a 5 cm/2 inch scone cutter.
9. Place the cobblers on top of the meat in the casserole, increase the oven heat and bake for 15 minutes.