This full-flavoured casserole requires little attention as it cooks. If tamarillos are not available, use pineapple or other fruit, and consider adding about a tablespoon of tomato paste to intensify the flavour of the liquid around the meat.
- 4 cross-cut blade steaks (about 600 g/1 lb 4 oz)
- 2 medium sized onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup (125 ml/4 fl oz) or full cup water
- 2 tsp instant beef stock or 1 tsp salt
- 2 tamarillos or 4 pineapple rings (optional)
[ads — pc — 1]
[ads — mob — 1]
- Lay the steaks in one layer in a casserole dish.
- Slice the onions in rings and brown in a fry-pan in the oil. Do not hurry this step.
- Add the flour, stir until it is evenly brown, then add the honey and let it turn golden brown.
- Remove from the heat, add water, wine and instant stock (or salt) and pour over the meat.
- Cover tightly and bake at 150 degrees Celsius (300F) for 1 hour.
- Add the sliced, peeled tamarillos (or other fruit) and cook for 30 minutes longer.
- Serve with baked potatoes and Brussels sprouts or beans.
The flavour of nearly all stews and casseroles improves on standing. Make twice as much as you need and refrigerate half of it to serve several nights later, or make it the day before you need it, if you are planning a special meal with a stew or casserole as the central part of your main course.