Vary the flavor of plain rice by adding a pinch of tumeric , herbs, lemon rind or chopped spring onions.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and sliced into rings
- 25 g plain
- pinch of mustard powder
- salt and pepper
- 8 lambs’ kidneys , cored and halved
- 450 g cocktail sausages, or skinless chipolatas, cut into chunks
- 1 (400 g/14 oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 300 ml beef stock
- chopped parsley to garnish
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and pepper in the oil for a few minutes .
- Transfer to a casserole .
- Mix together the flour, mustard salt and pepper and toss the kidneys and sausages in the seasoned flour.
- Cook the kidneys and sausages in the remaining oil until brown on all sides and transfer to the casserole .
- Mix in the tomatoes and beef stock , cover the casserole with a lid and cook in a moderate oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve the casserole with boiled rice, or mashed potato, piped and browned in the oven if liked.