This is a classic dish of Caucasian, Asian and Arabian cuisines. Many cooks are sure that this yummy thing is able to conquer with its simplicity. It could be called even ascetic one.
But it has onions and garlic in roasting and the decoration, represented by the slicing vegetables, which are added when you are serving your dish. The authentic recipe, on which our dish is based one way or another, includes only couscous and lamb.
But even in our case, the taste and aroma of lamb should be above all, therefore, it is worth talking that the lamb selection is considered to be rather important. For this, you will receive the most amazing aroma and taste of fresh mutton in combination with the tender and crumbly couscous.
List of required products:
- lamb hip with fat — 600 — 700 g;
- couscous porridge — 300 g;
- onion — 1 item;
- garlic — 1 head;
- salt, black pepper ground, thyme — to taste;
- cilantro, parsley, bell pepper, tomato for decoration
Begin to cook
- Rinse the lamb. Cut the fat and cut it into small pieces, set the frying pan on the smallest fire to melt the fat. If you have fat of sheep’s tail, you can use it, but you may melt the usual lamb fat, and not just the fat of sheep’s tail.
- Cut the meat from the bone (you can leave the bones for the broth). Take all the films off and cut into medium pieces, leaving only the inner tender fat.
- In the meantime, cut the onion into semi-rings, and peel the garlic and crush it with the side of the knife for cracking. In this case the flavor will be much better.
- The fat can be stewed to a reduction of half the volume. Then we’ll finish doing it when we cook the meat.
- First we put lamb and quickly fry it on high heat until the color changes, then we put onions and garlic.
- All together fry with constant stirring on high heat until a ruddy crust appearance. Then you can add water and stew for about 10 minutes on a small fire under the lid. Cracklings can be removed if desired, or you can leave it in a dish or put it on the dish for a person, who loves it.
- Then add couscous, all the salt, pepper, mix and pour with the boiling water. The last one should lightly cover the ingredients. As a rule all the process takes not more than 7-10 minutes. After that remove the dish from the fire and close it with a lid tightly. As a result it will brew without cooking.
- Serve this exceptionally tasty thing with fresh herbs of coriander and parsley and sliced vegetables if desired, spreading everything over the meat in a dish.
Some notes for you
You can pre-heat the fat and keep it in the freezer or in the fridge, or use the fat of sheep’s tail, but in any case it is necessary to cut off the excess fat. You see, the matter is that the lamb fat is rougher in comparison with the pork one. And it is not necessary to leave it on the hip part in large quantity.