- 3-4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless and cut in strips
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained of the most oil, chopped (keep oil for cooking)
- 3 bell peppers (1 red, 1/2 yellow and 1/2 green)
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 8 ounces fettuccine or penne pasta
- Chopped fresh basil, chopped for garnish
- Parmesan, for garnish
- Cook pasta al dente, according to package direction.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the drained tomato oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add chicken to the skillet and stir fry for 5 minutes with Italian seasoning and crushed chili pepper, until cooked. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce by combining basil pesto, cream, and chicken stock in a mixing cup or bowl; whisk until thoroughly combined and set aside.
- Return the skillet to heat and stir in onion, garlic and sun dried tomato. If the skillet is dry, add a little more oil from the sun. Cook over medium-high heat for about 1 minute, or until just fragrant. Add bell peppers and still cooking until slightly cooked but still crisp.
- Add the prepared pesto sauce to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Transfer chicken strips back in the skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until heated through.
- Stir in cooked pasta and reheat for 2 to 3 minutes. Garnish with parmesan cheese, freshly cracked black pepper and chopped basil. Serve immediately!