- 100 g butter or margarine
- 100 g light soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs , lightly beaten
- 225 g plain wholemeal flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 2 bananas , peeled and chopped
- 100 g chopped walnuts
- soft brown sugar to decorate
- Line and grease a deep 18 cm/7 inch round cake tin.
- Cream the butter or margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs . Fold in the flour , baking powder and nutmeg.
- Carefully fold in the bananas and walnuts.
- Spoon into the prepared tin, level the top and bake in a moderate oven for 1-2 hours or until skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Turn out on to a wire rack, sprinkle the top with soft brown sugar and leave to cool.