- 3 medium Russet potatoes , scrubbed and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp butter , diced into 4 pieces
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (scant) onion powder
- 1/8 tsp (scant) garlic powder
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar (4 oz)
- 1 cup chopped steamed broccoli florets (they should be chopped up into very small pieces and then measured)*
- Heat to 400 degrees. Pierce each potato several times with a fork. Place potatoes in oven (I never preheat it first with potatoes) and bake until potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- For the broccoli cheese sauce; in a small or medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion powder, garlic powder and flour and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. While whisking pour in milk, season with salt and pepper to taste and allow mixture to cook, stirring constantly, until it boil and mixture has thickened.
- Reduce to warm heat and stir in cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese has melted then stir in steamed broccoli.
- Serve warm over potatoes.
*You can cook the broccoli any way you prefer, you can cook in a little water in a saucepan covered with a lid, in the microwave with water or steam which is the way I prefer. Just drain it well if cooking in water.