- 1 pound flank steak
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, or 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- juice of ½ lemon, plus additional wedges for squeezing
- 4 white or wheat pitas
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- romaine lettuce
- tzatziki sauce
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and sliced + ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold plain Greek yogurt
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- ⅓ cup chopped dill, fresh or frozen (may sub 2 tablespoons dried dill)
- 1½ tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- ⅛ tsp black pepper, or to taste
- Place steak, olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, and juice from ½ lemon in a large resealable bag. Press excess air out and seal bag. Refrigerate for 1-8 hours.
- Spread cucumber slices out on a paper towel. Sprinkle generously with salt on both sides and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Wrap cucumber slices in paper towels, squeeze excess liquid out, and transfer to a food processor or blender.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients to blender and pulse until smooth and creamy. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Preheat grill, grill pan, or cast iron skillet, to medium-high heat. Use tongs to transfer steak to grill and discard excess marinade. Cook steak for 6-8 minutes on each side until desired doneness.
- Transfer steak to a cutting board and allow meat to rest for a few minutes before slicing very thinly across the grain.
- Assemble gyros with lettuce, sliced onions and cucumbers, and steak. Drizzle with tzatziki sauce, top with black pepper and fresh squeezed lemon and serve immediately.