Pochero, or puchero, is originally a Spanish dish, which a long time ago «moved» to former Spanish colonies to Latin America and from there to the Philippines in Asia. Frankly speaking, this is something like a peasant food, a stew, in which there is not much meat — but a lot of different, most often seasonal, vegetables. Philippine pochero differs from all others, as it includes plantains.
These products are not usually sold in ordinary European or American stores (although sometimes they are found), so in any case you can take unripe bananas instead. But, please, don’t take absolutely green things, because you won’t be able to peel them properly.
List of required products:
- 1 kg of beef flesh from the back leg;
- 200 grams of ready-made tomato sauce;
- 1 very small head of cabbage;
- a quarter of a head of Chinese cabbage;
- 4 plantains or immature bananas;
- 1 large potato;
- 1 large sweet potato;
- 1 medium carrot;
- 1 large onion;
- 5 cloves of garlic;
- 3 tbsp. of fish sauce;
- vegetable oil.
Begin to cook
- Cut the beef into medium pieces. Carrots should be cleaned, peeled and cut into 6 parts. Cut the onion into halves and then into half rings. The cloves of garlic are crushed, cleaned and coarsely chopped.
- Plantains (bananas), as well as sweet and ordinary potatoes are peeled and cut into large pieces.
- Cut the cabbage stump out of the cabbage, cut the leaves into pieces with a side of 2.5 cm. In the same way it is necessary to cut the Chinese cabbage.
- In a large saucepan with a thick bottom, heat the oil and fry the pieces of beef on it from all sides to a crusty crust appearance. Pour with boiling water and, please, mind that it should almost cover the meat. Bring to a boiling condition, reduce the heat and cook under the lid until the products become soft. As a rule, it takes about 1 hour.
- In a large deep stewing pan with a thick bottom, fry plantains and potatoes in vegetable oil. As a rule you won’t need more than 3 minutes for this. After that 1 plantain is put onto a plate and mashed with a fork. Other vegetables are put to the another dish.
- Into the deep stewing pan it is necessary to add a little oil, put onion and garlic. Fry everything for 2 minutes. With the help of the skimmer take the meat out of the broth, letting the odd liquid drain. Put it into a bow with garlic. Pour with fish sauce, cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, bring to a boiling condition, cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Simultaneously bring the broth to a boiling condition, put the carrots, sweet and ordinary potatoes, as well as plantains. Cook for 10 minutes. Together with the broth with the vegetables add to the meat the mashed plantain and mix everything well.
- Bring to a boiling condition, put white cabbage and cook for 5 minutes. Put the Chinese cabbage and stir carefully. Remove from heat, serve after 2-3 minutes.
By the way
This dish will be even more delicious, if you add sausage chorizo into it. But don’t forget to cut it with not too thin circles into the saucepan together with vegetables.