- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 50 g/2 oz butter or margarine
- 50 g/2 oz plain flour
- 600 ml /1 pint chicken stock
- 600 ml/1 pint milk
- 2 bunches of watercress, trimmed and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 150 ml / ¼ pint single cream
- Watercress sprigs to garnish
(Cooking time : 10minutes, serves 6, calories : 225 per portion)
1. In a saucepan, fry the onion and garlic in the butter or margarine until softened.
2. Reduce the heat and stir in the flour.
3. Gradually add the stock and milk, stirring all the time.
4. Stir in the watercress, salt and pepper, nutmeg and lemon juice.
5. Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
6. Reduce the heat , then stir in the single cream.
7. Reheat without boiling.
8. Pour the soup into individual soup bowls and garnish each serving with a sprig of watercress.