This chowder (or chunky soup) is quickly made from ingredients from your store cupboard, and embellished with fresh oysters and mussels if they are available. Even without these additions, however the flavor is excellent, especially if the chowder is allowed to stand for a few hours after making, for the flavors to blend.
- 2 medium-sized onions
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 carrot
- 25 g (1 oz) butter
- 1 cup (250 ml / 8 fl oz) water
- 1 tsp instant herb stock
- 1 tsp instant chicken stock
- 2-3 medium-sized potatoes
- 1 can (about 250 g / 4 oz) shrimps or salmon
- 2 cups (500 ml / 16 fl oz) milk
- 6-12 raw oysters (optional)
- About 12 steamed mussels (optional)
- About 2 tbsp cornflour
- Cold milk
- Chop onions and celery coarsely and slice carrot thinly.
- Cook gently in butter for 5 minutes then add water, instant stocks and potatoes which have been scrubbed rather than peeled, then cut in small cubes.
- Cover and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Add shrimps or salmon and all the liquid from can, the milk, and whole or halved oysters and mussels.
- Bring back to the boiling point, then thicken with cornflour.
- Remove from heat straight away or oysters and mussels will toughen.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.