- 450 g/1 lb raw beetroot
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- Bay leaf
- 1.15litres/2 pints beef stock
- Salt and pepper
- 150 ml/ ¼ pint natural yoghurt to garnish
(Cooking time: 1hour, calories: 60per portion, serves 6)
1. Grate or finely chop the beetroot.
2. Finely chop one carrot and the onion.
3. Grate the second carrot.
4. Put the vegetables, bay leaf stock and seasoning into a saucepan.
5. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
6. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning.
7. Pour the borscht into individual soup bowls and top each serving with a spoonful of natural yoghurt.