This ruby-red marinade adds a sophisticated touch to a bowl of fresh berries. It is especially useful combined with strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries (really any berry) when they are not locally in season. Also great spooned over sliced peaches!
- 1 cup 100% cranberry juice blend (we recommend cranberry/pomegranate)
- ½ cup light, fruity red wine, non alcoholic
- ¼ cup sugar (or zero calorie stevia sweetener equal to this amount)
- 3 (1-inch x 2-inch) strips lemon zest
- 3 (1-inch x 2-inch) strips orange zest
- Place the juice, wine, sweetener, and zest in a medium saucepan and boil over medium-high heat until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Cool the marinade in the pan to room temperature. If not using immediately, refrigerate, including the zest, in a glass jar for up to 3 days.
- To use, marinate 4 cups fresh berries for 20 to 45 minutes at room temperature, using a fork to gently toss them once or twice.