For real speed, use instant mashed potato. Freeze the cakes before frying — put them on a baking tray covered with cling film and open freeze. Pack in freezer bags when had. The mashed potato could be used alternately to make Fisherman’s Pie.
- 225 g coley, cubed
- knob of butter
- salt and pepper
- 225 g mashed potatoes
- 100 g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 25 g plain flour
- 1 egg plain flour
- 1 egg , lightly beaten
- 100 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- oil for frying
- lemon slices
- lime slices
- parsley sprigs
- Place the fish on a buttered flameproof plate, season and cover with foil.
- Steam over a pan of boiling water for 10-15 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.
- Flake the fish and mix with the potato and cheese.
- Season, divide the mixture into 8 portions and pat each into a round cake.
- Coat the fish cakes in the flour dip into the egg and then into the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the fish cakes util golden brown on the underside, then turn and cook until golden on the other side.
- Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Garnish the fish cakes with lemon and lime slices and parsley sprigs.