This is a lovely easy mixture that you can serve hot, or cold, tossed in dressing.
- 1-2 rashers lean bacon
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup (90 g/3 oz) Basmati rice
- 1/4 cup (45 g/2 oz) red lentils
- liquid from canned corn
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 cup drained, canned corn
- fresh herbs — parsley, basil, dill or oreganum (optional)
- Chop the bacon into small pieces and heat in the oi until lightly browned.
- Stir in the rice and lentils, cook for about a minute, then add the liquid from the corn, made up to 2 cups (500 ml/16 fl oz) with water, and the salt.
- Bring to the boil over a high heat, then cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes, or until the rice and lentils are tender and the liquid evaporated.
- Stir in the finely chopped spring onions and the drained corn, and add the chopped herbs if using them.
You may use a smaller can of kernel corn for this ( I use a 440g can); and I sometimes add a finely chopped red pepper just before the rice is cooked.